It finally happened, June 26th! It was a tough day to say the least. The twins were so overwhelmed with the change in routine. They were super-hyper, wanting to touch everything. And obviously, why would they listen to this guy that goes to play with them twice a day? Who does he think he is?!

In the morning we had a lot of running around to get Isaac’s medications, close his benefit account, buy gifts for the orphanage and director, etc. Finally we made it by 11am but we had not had a chance to get groceries. Olga needed to go to Dnepropetrovsk with the passports documentation and she was running tight on time. Oh, and did I mention it was so darn hot?? We were dancing around 100F and had to walk around everywhere. No A/C luxuries around here!

We got to the orphanage, delivered the gifs and donations and Irina, the new director, was very gracious and appreciative. She took time to show us around and explained her next project. The money will be used to build a new fence and slide in the baby room upstairs.

So in the meantime, Alla was getting the twins ready. Here are some pictures that Carol snapped. I wouldn’t have any visuals captured of this day if it wasn’t for her!

The twins go home. 26.06.09 001

Isaac is ready in the background, while Isabella gets all prettied up in her new clothes. I really need a crash-course in how to do Isabella’s hair! They have some great skills and I can barely do a pony tail.


Isaac Examination


Isaac gives his sister an examination before we left. Irina is holding Isabella.




And finally, a nice group photo before the departure. The lady is white is Nina and the one in blue is a nurse. They all love the kids a lot, and even though Isaac (well, it’s both really!) is quite a handful, I’m sure they already miss the twins. But perhaps they’re enjoying all the peace and quiet they left behind.

The twins go home. 26.06.09 005

Back in the apartment, I did some oatmeal porridge for lunch and tried my best to put them to bed for an afternoon nap. Needless to say, all efforts were futile. I The twins go home. 26.06.09 018couldn’t get them to stop bouncing around. Here’s Isaac pretending to call Mama.

Carol was going to come back at 4pm so we could go get Isaac’s medicine and try to pick up some groceries. The trip went surprisingly well. We took the stroller, as the walk was quite long and Isabella walked all the way to the pharmacy as Isaac rode. Then we switched and went to Billa for groceries. Isaac rode well in the cart. Isabella was obviously wanting to touch everything, so we made it as quick as possible. Then on our way back, we stopped at ATB grocery to get big jugs of water (closer to the apartment). Isabella’s shoes were hurting, so I carried her on my shoulders and carried the water. Needless to say, I was soaked in sweat by the time we got to the apartment.

Carol helped me get some dinner ready for them and after a bath, I successfully put them to bed. Isaac slept deep, but Isabella was dreaming and shaking her head. At one point she even started crying, with tears and sobs. I finally woke her up, went to the kitchen for some water, held her for a bit and then put her back to bed. Papa was then finally able to eat something for the day and get some rest.

So as for coming back, we’ll have to postpone it by a few more days at least as the passports are expected to be completed on Friday 3rd. July. That means we should be able to get to Kiev on Sunday and get the visas and doctor visits done in two days, with a possible travel date of July 8th.

8 clicked here to comment!:

The McEacherns said...

Yay! One step closer to home!

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Glad to see you have the twins with you now:) I hope you have that stroller. You have your hands full!

It's been crazy around here. I'm sorry I haven't kept up with your blog. We are using public computers that are slower than home. An hour passes quickly. Plus, I think this is the only internet place in town and it's very popular!


Dave Baldacchino said...

Every day is a blessing lol! June, yes the stroller has been put to good use already. And honestly, without Carol's help, who comes buy to walk the kids with me twice daily, I couldn't have done it. Don't feel bad about not following. I haven't been able to do much either! See, now it's 12:20am and I finally took a shower and have a chance to read something. I need to get to bed because they'll be awake by 7am!

Anonymous said...

Dave...this is Tina from Oklahoma.
I have been following your journey with tons of prayers....I know you will do fine with the kids until you are re-united with Lori. I have been praying for all of you. God has blessed those children by giving them to you and Lori.
Love and Best Wishes
Mike and Tina
P.S. Brandon turned 21 this weekend...ugh!!!I am getting old.

Dave Baldacchino said...

Hi Tina, long time no talk! Lori keeps me updated though haha. Wow, 21!! That was my age when I visited you guys the first time. Amazing eh? I think he'll teach me a thing or 2 now ;) Thanks a lot for following. The first day with them was very difficult. Well, so was the 3rd, but we have good moments. Hopefully I'll be able to post an update tonight. Laters!

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

I always love these posts!!
Congrats on your beautiful kids!

Lisa, Chris & Lucas said...

Glad to hear things are winding down and you will be heading home soon. I can imagine how difficult it is for you with the kids and the hurry up and wait paperwork at this stage. I'm so glad Carol is there to help.

I know this doesn't help, but when we were there adopting Lucas, we were stuck in Kyiv for a week (it was winter and our apartment was tiny). Lucas was only 16 mos old and it was incredibly stressful (and there were two of us) with his frequent tantrums. I swore we had just signed on for 18 years of torture! But once we got home, and the routine set in, he turned into the sweetest little boy (still is) and those memories have faded into humorous anecdotes. Soon you will be home and before too long you will be missing that crazy, beautiful, frustrating, enchanting place called Ukraine.

You are doing an amazing job...I can tell!!!


Dave Baldacchino said...

Thanks guys :) As you can see, I have my hands full and have not been able to update the blog. I will though...the photos will remind me of what happened and I'll write for sure.

Lisa, I can't tell you just how many fits I've endured now. I'm a bit more relaxed though after going through several a day from both (Isabella turns out to be the most difficult! No one at the orphanage can believe it; Isaac has become a lot calmer than ever before). They get into a state of absolute irrationality. Nothing will make them snap out of it except ignoring them and/or threatning to leave. Once the face redness (almost violet!) has subsided, they start reasoning again. It seems they do this mostly when you try to control them from doing something. And yes, I'm VERY stubborn too :)

Carol has been an absolute Godsend. Can't begin to explain. She has allowed us to have so many first before travelling back to the US that it's just amazing. Lots of shopping, walking, going back to the orphanage to play with kids and today we spent a morning splashing at the beach. The kids are now exhausted and sleeping. They thoroughly enjoyed the day.